8/05/2022

Cycling in Slovenia


I had a wonderful climb over the border into Slovenia. 

It was solid climb that completely soaked me through with sweat. I did the last 40k of the day pretty much without stopping. 


Which landed me in Bovec, a scenic mountain town



After a week on the road I decided to take a rest day here. I was going to ride a gondola up the mountain for a walk but at lunch prior to, I went to sip my drink and a bee was on the glass and stung my lower lip... It swelled up pretty bad. So instead of riding the gondola I spent the day resting and taking care of my lip. 

The next day I cycled down the Soča River valley 

Transitioning from Italy to Slovenia Google Maps no longer does bike routes so I started using Komoot. But I'm having second thoughts! I found myself on some steep inclines and loose rocks--which is not good!  S*** f****** sucks. The first climb on the profile above is the below photos of Rocky road. 


The only upside was there were zero other vehicles on the road...

And I ended up in some beautiful mountain territory 






I haven't cycled over 2,000 m in one day since cycling in the Columbian Andes in march. I have found Slovenia is rubbing me the right way. The people are friendly, the roads are good, the house are well taken care of, Good Vibes.

Sometimes when I'm climbing up a long climb I let out a big ooooppppaaahhh" =effort +suffering +amazingness 😎


Fresh alpine water 


I stayed with Warmshowers host, Bojan, who was sooo hospital. He converted what was once a workshop into a separate apartment to accommodate as many as 8 guests at once. And he said he has many guests coming and going all through the summer. 7 the night before it arrived and 5 my night. He said his neighbors sometimes help out to welcome guests into the apartment when he's not around. And he told me that if I have any problem, anywhere in Slovenia, to call him and he would come and get me. Wow. So nice!..... If only he didn't talk so much 😂





And I visited the lovely capital city of Ljubljana 


Ljubljana is quite a lovely city. A lovey canal lined with bars and restaurants and flower arrangements. Interesting well maintained architecture. Very friendly people




Cycling north toward the Austrian border 


There were farms of hops alll through this region. A pretty crop, I'd say 

I hopped in the municipal pool in Celje, 4th largest city in Slovenia 




I was beginning to look for a wild camping spot when, while cycling, a wasp flew right into my eye. I had to scrape it out of the sclera of my eye while quickly pulling off the road. It stung me just below the eye and got awfully swollen. Lasting a few days. And made my wild camping situation even less pleasant.... 

No comments:

Post a Comment