8/19/2022

Cycling in Hungary


I have been happily surprised at how popular cycling is in Hungary (and no Ebikes like has come to dominate much of the rest of Europe). Mostly to get around but also for pleasure/touring. It helps that the country is mostly flat. But I'd say there are more cyclists where I've been in Hungary than there are around Boston. I've even seen a mail woman on a bicycle with 4 panniers for letters. 


Hungry has a reliable system of public water taps. more than any other country I've cycled through on this trip. Perhaps more than any where in the world I've been. Every little town has these blue water fountains that could be mistaken for a fire hydrant. It is so nice for the public to have such access to clean water... Why don't we in the USA? 


Lake Balaton

Mostly private beach resorts. Where families go for the day. I accessed the lake to swim at public accesses, like parks. But the private beach clubs, which were only like 4$ for the day, had nice grass, chairs, pools, water slides, and those large rafts that are like jungle gyms for kids to play on.

The water was super shallow though, around the entire lake it seems to me. And I went around more than half of it. At least the bottom was comfortable sand/dirt...





Music 

This house music brings together the positive vibes of afro carribean, new Orleans jazz and Latin music. I've been rocking out on my bicycle to this mix. Check it out 🙌

Listen to Acuña Mix #51 - Bosq by Acuña on #SoundCloud

https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/Vf8ER


One thing that I appreciate about traveling by bicycle is my low carbon footprint. But I'm unable to avoid producing plastic waste. And it irks me. So I at least try to minimize the amount of landfill that I take up with plastic.


Park 

It's great to see that event in the small town Hungary they have skate parks and workout stations. Come on Brookline/Boston, let's step up our game! Building public workout stations creates a more fit community!


Whenever I see a pull up bar I am summoned to 10 pullups, 10 chinups, with push-ups... isn't that how you see them?? 💪

I found a nice forest campsite with plenty of space and near nothing but the local thermal pools. So I had plenty of space in grass to setup my tent and no traffic noise.... Something I have not been without for a while....

The pools smelled like gasoline though 🙄


This is why wide tires and a hat are necessary. Although I still had to walk. 

But sand and bumpy means you can't take your hands of the handle bars to drink. And then when you stop to drink the flies attack!


Pecs. 5th largest city in Hungary. Quite old. Nice downtown. I couldn't stay long though as I had arranged a warmshowers stay a bit further on. 









No comments:

Post a Comment