3/16/2018

Cycling in Honduras

I set out from Nacaome to check out a small island in the gulf of Fonseca,
where I thought there would be an interesting view in all directions. I estimated 100k on the day, with a slow loop around the island. 
It was a pretty nice ride to reach the little port town that shuttled people back and forth to the island.
I grabbed a fried fish for lunch
and caught a small boat across.
The island road was made of manufactured stone, which makes for a bumpy but manageable surface.
As no effort is made to clear brush /trees for lookouts, the views were mostly disappointing  ointing.
After nearly damaging my bike on the boat crossing, I disembarked around 4pm, with the sun starting to set.
I had been told by 2 separate people that San Lorenzo is not a safe place, so I certainly didn't want to arrive after sunset here. Starting back began with a streepish climb over the side of a volcano. Just as I started climbing a bus pulled up behind me, laboring to accelerate up the hill.  I took it as a challenge to stay ahead of it up the hill. I managed to for about half of the 30 minute ascent. And after the descent, I cranked it into racing gear for the 20 mile stretch to San Lorenzo. 
About half way there I noticed that my foot was wobbling and realized that my bottom bracket was loose. This really concerned me, for this same problem forced me to hitchhike my way out of the Kootenay forest in Alberta Canada 1.5 years ago. Fortunately, that incident prompted me to buy a new multi-tool that has the Allen key to tighten the bottom bracket, so I was able to fix it. Few! 
Made it into town by about 530 :) 

Chuloteca
I stayed at Warmshowers with a family in Choluteca that frequently took in cyclists during the busy cycling season  They had a mango tree with the biggest mangoes I've ever seen 
Leaving Honduras for the Nicaraguan border I chose to head up into the mountains instead of staying along the coast.
I was mentally prepared for the 3500' climb, but I was not anticipating it would be towards the back side of a windfarm. And then up a wind tunnel of a valley....
Windmills make for nice scenery, though. Wish I had one in my backyard, 

After about 3 hours of climbing I reached the "town"  at the top of the mountain and looked for some place to eat lunch. There was only one little convenience store like place with the proprietors' dining room attached where they'd serve food out of their kitchen. After hearing the two options of pork or beef, I told them I'm normally a vegetarian who eats only fish and shrimp, a pescatarian, and that I'd like to have the option that is less meaty...  JUST as I finished saying this, a man walks into the room with a trey of fresh shrimp asking the lady if she would like to buy some. To which I said "yes"!  I couldn't believe the coincidental irony!
Before he left on his motorcycle I asked him how often he makes deliveries here, he said twice a week. How about those odds 😀

No comments:

Post a Comment