3/30/2018

Cycling in Nicaragua

Soon after crossing into Nicaragua I stopped in a small town to check out some canyons I had heard about.  About 15 years ago some European geologists walked with some local kids to where the kids had played for years.  The geologists suggested they take tourists as well and an industry here was born.

From the Somoto Canyons, to Somoto to Esteli I lost my wallet. I travel with only the essentials in it and spares in my pannier, so I was prepared. Receiving a package while traveling to replace my primary cards was another matter, especially in a country where addresses do not exist.

Descending the mountains 140 kilometers from Esteli to Leon the temperature got up to 49C/120F, fortunately I go fast and the wind helps keep you cool.
My first active volcano sightings
Leon is a more attractive Nicaraguan city
And my accommodation had an active pool.

Turning south again I hopped to El Tránsito on the beach.  A cool surf spot with little development and a couple cool spots to hang out by the beach. 10 miles of dirt road made it a bit difficult to get in/out of.
I had to stop in Managua to pick up a package-city cycling is always crazy.

Next was a short hop down to Granada, another colonial style city. Much busier /more traffic than I recall from 10 years ago.
Howler monkeys on the side of the road.
I always love to stop for some fast fruit to go.
Imagine this:
It's one thing for an 18 wheeler truck to pass from behind while other cars are coming in the opposite direction so the truck has to pass without giving any space. It is quite another thing, one that has indeed scared me and gotten my heart rate up, when an oncoming 18 wheeler Mac truck passes another car and comes straight at you, at a high speed with only a foot or two of space to pass.   Weehoo is that scary!

I had a Warmshowers stay at a hostel /restaurant in Playa Gigante where the owner maintained a profile on the site that said there is an 'open door policy for cyclists' - free to stay, just sleep on an available hammock on wherever you like on the beach. Pretty chill spot this one.
 
I had no room, just a place to put my bike .. 
Nice views from the cliffs.
 
 
Ometepe
2 volcanoes on an island in the middle of a lake in the middle of Nicaragua.
 
All along the western edge of the lake loads of windmills have recently been installed. I have to say I think they're a nice, optimistic sight.
San Juan del Sur /Playa el Coco
A friend's girlfriend who runs yoga retreats out of a rental house let me crash for a few night at her place. Pretty killer spot.
Also got a chance to check out a neat yoga retreat center
Even though things were revving up in SJDS for the first day of Semana Santa, I chose to leave. A worsening ear infection and people who thought it okay to start partying at 6am drove me out of there and to cross into Costa Rica.









No comments:

Post a Comment