6/08/2022

Cycling in Portugal

This is the idea 

So I packed up my bike 


And I flew from Boston to Lisbon. 


Flying into Lisbon I set up my bicycle at the airport. Something always goes wrong. Was a stressful experience. 


With my warm showers host conveniently located near a metro stop, I spent a day walking around Lisbon 




Upon starting the journey I found my dynohub USB charging port was not working... So before leaving the city, I tried to fix it.  3 bike shops and 2 electrical technicians, I was able to fix it. So my cycling can charge a battery bank. 

 I took a train 20 minutes out of the metro area, to Sintra, and started cycling from there. 

My setup 


Camping in Ericeira 

Despite hearing the predominant winds were from the north, I had a good luck all through Portugal with tailwinds. 
A castle wall
Lots of wind turbines around 





Cabo Carvoeiro in Peniche, the Western most part of Europe. 



Cycling up the coast I found myself stuck behind a large group of kids cycling over a bridge we were all crossing. After giving up on passing them I settled in amongst them for a slow bridge crossing and got to chatting with them. About 40-50 14-15 year old kids doing a class trip by bicycle for the day. After about 15 minutes of cycling and chatting with them I was going to split from them when one girl approached me and asked me if I knew some English song... I said I didn't know it so she started to sing it to me. It seemed she really wanted to sing to me. So I let her sing her song (even though her teacher figure wanted her to move along) and tried to show my appreciation of her effort. After she finished she told me that she only arrived Portugal 1 month ago from Ukraine, where her brother and father remain. 











It's great to see wind farms out here. I find them kinda beautiful myself, especially for what they mean.
Not nearly as many as the wind farm I came across in Southern Mexico, though. 



 
Talking with some locals they suggested I check out the Duono River. So I did. 




Arriving Pinhão on the Duono 
This rail line was purely for tourism along river 
Cycling out of the river valley it was all vineyards. Which made for a pleasant 12 mile 2000 morning climb before breakfast. 
Pinhao is in the distance there, along the river 




After a day of cycling, this was a welcome find :) 

This is what it looks like when Google maps leads me into trouble and I question my sanity.... Steep sandy rocky roads who knows where 
After some walking/pushing I eventually found my way back to pavement. The landscape has changed dramatically having here just crossed into Spain 
These storks have made nests in the roof of this abandoned building... At least providing accommodations for someone! 
After 9 days of cycling in a row, I took a rest day in Salamanca. 
My route through Portugal. 
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/39705483



1 comment:

  1. This is so interesting! The photos are beautiful. You are living the life! Can't wait to see more.

    ReplyDelete