9/30/2007

Rome, Italy

So I crashed with a guy who happened to live 2 minutes walk to the Vatican. And, as it turned out, the Vatican museum is free the last Sunday of each month--the day after I got to his place. I could not pass on such luck. Expecting a massive line for the freebee I show up at 9am to a 4 block/.25 mile line that dropped my jaw. Expecting this, of course, I had no intention of waiting in line for the museum to close in front of me at 2pm. So I stepped in about 10 mins away...as you do...
Again, I am not one for art, but the shear size of this place, fully encased in art, was mind boggling. The scale of the art, filling entire rooms, entire hallways, was quite impressive (impossible to capture in camera).




The jesters guarding the joke...


Went to the Di Vinci musuem. Man that guy was ingenious. He designed a self enclosed octagonal mirror that lets you see yourself forever in all directions. What better way to watch yourself dance! Cause I know he was just waitin for glow sticks to be invented with this one.


Ok, so I am one for ice cream and I really came to Italy to see for myself what the hoopla was about with their 'Gelato'. But, after at least 20 samples in 30 days, I gotta say, between Spain and Italy, I think Spain takes the cone. Blasphemous, I know.
Rome

vs.
Spain

For the most part, though, I just walked around the city, as I have been for a month or so now....

1 comment:

  1. cool, you're in rome. obviously what i consider to be the most interesting city in italy. there's plenty of must-see historical monuments and art, but its really the smaller, personal discoveries that'll bring meaning to your visit. take a stroll across the river to trastevere. there's a charming little cafe there called stardust. and an english bookstore. see if you can stop in at the cenci (risd's building), not far from the compo di fiore, the morning market. get a loaf of pane siciliane at the bakery on the north-west corner. there's an english speaking bar right there too.
    yeah, just keep up your wandering. you can't see it all, so enjoy what comes your way.

    ReplyDelete